|Local commune administration authority
WOLIN TOWN AND COMMUNE COUNCIL
72-500 Wolin, ul. Zamkowa 23
tel.: (091) 3261322, fax: 3261333
|Chief of local authority
Mayor BOGDAN WILKOWSKI
|Controlling maritime authority
WOLIN BOATSWAIN'S OFFICE
ul. Niedamira 1
|Contact of maritime authority
tel.: (091) 3261114, fax: 3261809
VHF Channel 16
The port approaching fairway leads from Brama Torowa No. 3
about 1 3/4 miles ENE leading line. Thence N, keeping close to the
W bank of Dziwna River, to the wharf at Wolin.
|Quayage and berthing facilities
Port infrastructure consists of fishing, reloading and grain quays.
Total length of the quays 467 meters. Depth at the quays is 3 meters.
A concrete wharf, 150m long, with depths alongside of 3 to 4m, extends
along the west bank. South of the road bridge, there is a fishing
|Slip for fishing boats
|Ice production plant capacity of 10 tonnes per day
|Cold storage capacity
|Available in Swinoujscie
|Chilling storage capacity
|Available for 10 tonnes of chilled fish
|Frozen fish transport
|Available for chilled fish
|Types and size of fishing fleet
21 fishing boats (length of 7 to 10m) and average engine power of 28 to 55 HP.
|Types of fish landed (in tonnes) (1995)
Goleniow, approx. 50km
Wolin is one of the oldest Slavonic towns, ancient Legendary Wineta
of Jamsborg (a military base of the Vikings), situated on the south
eastern edge of Wolin Island, on the Dziwna River. The population of
the town is about 4000. Wolin was one of the most flourishing towns in
early Medieval Europe. It was described in the chronicle of the most
illustrious merchant and traveller of his times, Ibrahim ibn Jakub. In
its day Wolin walls had as many as 12 gates. Port could harbour 300
vessels and traded with England, Spain, Byzantium and the Ruthenian
Nowogrod. In Wolin have excavated 10th century Persian coins and
In 967 Polish Ruler Mieszko I incorporated Wolin into Poland and the
town be-came the most important trade centre on the Baltic coast. In
the 11th century it was destroyed by the Danes' invasion. In 1140 the
Polish Bishopric was established there. In 1278 Wolin was granted its
municipal charter. In the 14th century it became a member of the
Hanseatic League. In 1630 Wolin was occupied by the Swedes. Since
1720 it belonged to Prussia. During the Second World War the town
was 70% destroyed. It was liberated in the beginning of May 1945.
Some of the interesting places, are the tenement houses from the
18th - 19th century, neo-Gothic townhall from 1813, ruins of St
Nicholas' church from the 15th century and an old Slavonic burial
ground from the 9th - 11th century.
At present Wolin stands on the west bank of the Dziwna River and has
a fishing harbour and wharves of passenger traffic and yachts.
A road lift bridge, which opens and the railway swing bridge north
of it connects the town with the east bank. Between the bridges is
a grain elevator and in the town is a sawmill. In 1975, another
railway bridge was constructed north of the existing bridge.
The railway swing bridge, which has an opening 12.5m in width,
is closed before the departure of a train, and opened after it
has passed. Vessels passing the bridge must use the opening on the
right of the direction of travel.
The fishing harbour after reconstruction extends to the west bank
of the Dziwna River, south of the road bridge. The harbour has good
fishing infrastructure, facilities and 133m of quage space is
available for fishing boats and barges. The quay 58m in lenght
offering space for yachts visiting the port.