Introduction to Leba
The town is located at the mouth of Leba river rising in Lebsko lake. Leba is the health resort and popular seaside town. Now it has population of 3,857.
The first historical mention of Leba can be found in papal edict dated 1440. The pope Innocent II stated the mouth of Leba River as East border of new episcopate in Wolin island. The population of Leba was engaged in trade, handicraft and fishing on Leba lake.
From XV century Leba belongs to Hanza union. The membership influences the growth of seaport in Leba. Leba has cooperated in seatrade with Gdansk, Lubeka and Visby in Gotland. However the mouth of Leba river was too small for sea ship, they were discharging on roads.
In XVI century the town was destroyed by strong storms. The population has moved to region located far in the east and until now it's location of the city.
In 1791 Leba had a population of 500 and 97 houses. The inhabitants have earned fishing and discharging of salt and wood.
In XIX century sea trade decreased due to development of railway and road connections and a competition of neighbouring ports. In order to enable discharging and loading inside the port there were carried out hydraulic works. It ameliorates regulation of river mouth. There were built new piers and riversides.
Before II World War the port of Leba has become one of the largest fishing port. Unfortunately the war made impossible to build new ocean fishing base.
The port is located in mouthpart of Leba river. Port of Leba is first of all fishing port. Bridges limit Port waters: first in mouth of Leba river in distance of 1300 m from breakwater, second in Chelst Canal (Mlynowka) - connects the outlet of Leba river and Sarbsko lake.
- Gospodarczy Basin - for yachts and boats without engine
- Rybacki Basin - for coasters, fishing and deep-sea fishing, bunker station
- Spoldzielcze Quay - cold store and factory of ice
- Stoczniowe Quay - slip for ships with lengths up to 19m
|Max. depth [m]
All rates quoted in this chapter are subject to change over a year. The prices are given for evaluation purpose.
Charges are given according to the Decree of Minister of Infrastructure concerning the rates of harbour dues, valid from April 29th, 2004, (Journal of Laws of Republic of Poland 2004 no. 103, item 1082).